Friday, March 15, 2013

Gatefold Cards for All Types of Occasions

I wanted to make use of my many scraps of card stock and printed paper. I also wanted to make a different type of card. Gate cards filled the bill!


A gate card is a bit different from basic cards. Instead of having a single fold, a gatefold card has two folds, each forming a flap that meets in the center on the front of the card. In addition to decorating the two cover panels and the inside of the card, sometimes a closure or overlapping panel is created to sit on the front of the card to hold the two cover flaps together.

This type of card is versatile and can be used for many occasions.

Here are two different versions of the gatefold cards, one is 5 1/2" square and the other is a 4" x 5" card.

Let look into the larger square card (fits a 5 1/2" envelope):


Cut card stock 5 1/2" x 11" and score 2 3/4" from each end. Fold ends to meet at the middle.
Cut 2 outer panels of printed paper or card stock at 2 1/4" x 5" and select or create a piece for the top closure. For this card I chose one of the many square designed in the Graphic 45 collection of Song Bird.

Each of my paper cuts were inked on the edge, so as not to show any white but also to give them a bit of vintage look.

For the center area inside the card to write on, I used a printed paper for the base cut at 4" x 4 3/4" and the white for writing on is cut at 3 3/4" x 4 1/2" and adhered to the center of the printed paper and that in turn is glued to the center panel of the card inside.
In my last post, I talked about the stickers and pens used with Starforms...here is an example in this square format:
In the following card, I used a Starform fan shape as the center closure at the front of the card:
For the smaller 4" x 5" gatefold card (fits a normal A2 envelope):


Cut card stock 8" x 5" and score at 2" from each end. Fold ends to meet at the middle.

Cut 2 outer panels of printed paper or card stock (I used Graphic 45 Song Bird) at 4 3/4" x 1 3/4" and select or create a piece for the top closure. For this card I chose one of the many square designed in the Graphic 45 collection of Song Bird.

Again each of my paper cuts were inked on the edge, so as not to show any white but also to give them a bit of vintage look.

For the center area inside the card to write on, I used a printed paper for the base cut at 4 1/2" x 3 1/2" and the white for writing on is cut at 3" x 4" and adhered to the center of the printed paper and that in turn is glued to the center panel of the card inside.

I love all the different looks that can be achieved with this style of card!



5 comments:

r howard said...

amazing works of art!! Just beautiful and so unique!!

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW love the oriental theme!
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts School Projects

Natasha in Oz said...

These are beautiful-I love the Asian theme you have used.

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

Lindsay Weirich said...

those are so pretty, I love Asian cards! You should join the Oriental Stamp Art yahoo group, it is so much fun there! I run a tip contest each week, we'd love to have you!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Thanks for sharing your creativity with us. Linda